Erhalten Sie Zugang zu diesem und mehr als 300000 Büchern ab EUR 5,99 monatlich.
This is not a book of dates. It does not abound in statistics. It avoids controversies of the past and prophecies of the future. The motive is to present in plain, newspaper style a narrative of the rise and progress of St. Louis to the fourth place among American cities. To personal factors rather than to general causes is credited the high position which the community has attained. Men and women, more than location and events, have made St. Louis the Fourth City. The site chosen was fortunate. Of much greater import was the character of those who came to settle. American history, as told from the Atlantic seaboard points of view, classed St. Louis as "a little trading post." The settlement of Laclede was planned for permanence. It established stable government by consent of the governed. It embodied the homestead principle in a land system. It developed the American spirit while "good old colony times" prevailed along the Atlantic coast. Home rule found in St. Louis its first habitat on this continent. This is volume four out of four, continuing the many biographies of the most important persons in St. Louis history.
Sie lesen das E-Book in den Legimi-Apps auf:
Seitenzahl: 588
Veröffentlichungsjahr: 2020
Das E-Book (TTS) können Sie hören im Abo „Legimi Premium” in Legimi-Apps auf:
St. Louis – The Fourth City
1764 – 1911
Volume 4
WALTER BARLOW STEVENS
St. Louis, The Fourth City, Vol. 4, Walter Barlow Stevens
Jazzybee Verlag Jürgen Beck
86450 Altenmünster, Loschberg 9
Deutschland
ISBN: 9783849659332
www.jazzybee-verlag.de
Abeles, Julius D. 106
Adkins, Benjamin Conklin. 239
Bakewell, Paul 107
Bascom, Joseph Dayton. 142
Behen, John J. 242
Bell, Nicholas Montgomery. 228
Blair, Albert 240
Blodgett, Wells H. 46
Blossom, Henry Martyn. 28
Boogher, Jesse L. 161
Brock, James Ellison. 219
Brown, Alanson D. 35
Brown, Charles Henry. 97
Brown, Daniel Sidney. 94
Bryson, Joseph Montgomery. 183
Busch, Adolphus. 33
Busch, Otto Schubert 182
Cairns, Anna Sneed. 56
Carter, William Francis. 224
Catlin, Daniel 24
Clark, Charles. 209
Clark, Silas Henry H. 41
Cole, Nathan. 12
Cupples, Samuel 3
Dennig, Louis E. 223
Ewing, Auguste Berthold. 32
Fischel, Washington E., M.D. 195
Foster, Robert Magruder 147
Fouke, Philip Bond. 124
Freasier, Joseph L. 112
Freund, Simon. 109
Gerhart, Peter G. 190
Gerhart, Thomas Slevin. 193
Glennon, John Joseph. 18
Gray, Charles McLaughlin. 204
Grund, Adolph Robert 146
Haanel, Charles F. 71
Handlan, Alexander H. 198
Harrison, John W. 92
Haynes, John Ignatius. 119
Holmes, John A. 105
Howard, Clarence Henry. 126
Howard, David Belmy. 84
Johnson, Clarence Dean. 74
Jones, Paul 104
Jones, Silas Beverly. 141
Kacer, Martin V. 100
Kehlor, James B. M. 167
Kerens, Richard C. 176
King, Anna Farrar Van Sweringen Barret 149
Kirchner, Walther C. G., M.D. 110
Klein, John S. 69
Koprian, Christina. 125
Lackey, William Gatewood. 102
Lasar, Edward Frederick. 174
Lawton, Joseph. 244
Leppert, C. J. 246
Lewis, Edward Gardner 233
Lindsay, Andrew J. 165
Lohmann, Henry W. 208
Lowery, Thomas. 86
Lucas, John B. C. 135
Luebbering, William B. 80
Mallinckrodt, Edward. 45
Mayhall, Frederick Arthur 179
McCulloch, Robert 30
McLure, Charles Derickson. 215
McQuillin, Eugene. 170
Michel, Pierre A., D.D.S. 156
Morton, Isaac Wyman. 17
Mott, Frederick W. 247
Mudd, Harvey Gilmer, M.D. 83
Niedringhaus, George W. 163
Niedringhaus, Thomas Key. 243
Niedringhaus, William F. 172
Niekamp, Charles Henry. 130
Nolker, Louis Theodore. 257
Nugent, Byron. 18
Nugent, James G. 252
Nulsen, Albert G. 85
Nulsen, John Clemens. 116
O'Connell, John W. 120
O'Neil, Joseph. 217
O'Reilly, Andrew J. 202
Orthwein, William D. 188
Outten, Warren Bell, A.M., M.D. 49
Parker, Wilbur F. 138
Peck, Charles H. 257
Peper, Christian. 199
Perry, John D. 253
Peters, Henry W. 90
Pettker, Henry. 72
Pflager, Harry M. 76
Reardon, James A. 251
Riddle, Truman Post 196
Roberts, Charles Van Hook. 158
Rumbold, Frank Meeker, M.D. 159
Scanlan, Mary Felicite (Christy) 211
Schlossstein, Louis. 115
Schmidt, Louis. 99
Schwarz, Henry, M.D. 144
Senter, Charles Parsons 221
Shapleigh, Augustus Frederick. 1
Shapleigh, Frank. 54
Silverthorne, Albert E. 134
Slicer, William Cromwell 96
Sloan, William Moffatt 113
Smith, Daniel Eastman. 132
Smith, Mason G. 178
Stanard, Edwin O. 8
Starck, Charles Frederick. 122
Steigers, William C. 226
Stephens, Lawrence Vest 237
Thomson, William Holmes. 51
Vogel, Charles Frederick. 78
Wade, Festus J. 183
Wagoner, Henry Hoover 139
Whitaker, Edwards. 129
Wiegand, George. 82
Wilson, W. E. 186
Wilson, William Charles. 81
Woodward, William Henry. 19
While American trade annals contain records of many men who have been the architects of their own fortunes there has been no record more creditable by reason of undaunted energy, well formulated plans and straightforward dealing, than that of Augustus Frederick Shapleigh, the founder of one of the most important commercial enterprises of St. Louis. The name has become a synonym for the hardware trade here and the extensive house, now conducted under the style of the Norvell-Shapleigh Company, remains as a monument to his progressive spirit and business ability.
A native of New Hampshire, Augustus F. Shapleigh was born at Portsmouth, January 9, 1810, a son of Captain Richard and Dorothy (Blaisdell) Shapleigh. The ancestry of the family is traced back to Alexander Shapleigh, who was a merchant and shipowner of Devonshire, England, and prior to 1635 came to America as agent for Sir Ferdinand Gorges. Settling in Massachusetts he built the first house at Kittery Point, now in the state of Maine, on the river Piscataqua, authority for which statement is found in the entry on the records of the York court in 1650: "For as much as the house at the river’s mouth where Mr. Shapleigh first bylt and Hilton now dwelleth; in regard it was the first house there bylt."
In successive generations members of the Shapleigh family filled important offices of trust under the British crown and were rewarded by landed possessions which are still held by members of the family, constituting a tenure of more than two hundred and fifty years. Major Nicholas Shapleigh, son of the American progenitor, was especially prominent in colonial affairs in the province of Maine, serving for many years as a member of the council and as treasurer of the province from 1649 until 1653. He was a commander of the militia from 1656 to 1663, made a treaty with the Sagamore Indians in 1678 and was attorney for the lord proprietor, Robert Mason. He also represented his district in the Massachusetts general court until his death. The line of descent is traced down through Alexander, son of the first Alexander, Captain John, Major Nicholas II, Nicholas III, Captain Elisha and Captain Richard Shapleigh to Augustus F. Shapleigh of this review. In 1706 Captain John Shapleigh was killed by the Indians who at that time captured his son, Major Nicholas Shapleigh, and carried him to Canada. In later years Major Nicholas Shapleigh served for a long period as major of the colonial troops, while his son Nicholas took part in colonial wars with the Blue Troop of York, one of the companies of the regiment commanded by Sir William Pepperell. Captain Elisha Shapleigh, one of the sons of Nicholas Shapleigh III, raised the first company of the Second York County Regiment and as its captain served in the Revolutionary war.
Captain Richard Shapleigh, father of Augustus F. Shapleigh, was master and owner of the ship, Granville, which was wrecked off Rye Beach, New Hampshire, in 1813. In that disaster he lost his life and upon the son soon devolved the necessity of assisting the mother in the support of the family. Mrs. Shapleigh was a daughter of Abner Blaisdell, of Portsmouth, New Hampshire, who served in the Revolutionary war as sergeant in Captain Titus Salter’s Company of Artillery at Fort Washington and later with Captain John Langdon’s Light Horse Volunteers.
The early boyhood of Augustus F. Shapleigh was devoted to acquiring an education, but when the father died and the family was left in straitened financial circumstances he sought and secured a situation as clerk in a hardware store at Portsmouth, New Hampshire, where in compensation for a year’s services he received the sum of fifty dollars and boarded himself. The succeeding three years were devoted to a seafaring life, during which he made several voyages to Europe, but at the solicitation of his mother and sisters, he left the sea and secured employment with the hardware house of Rodgers Brothers & Company, of Philadelphia. Entering that employ in 1829 he there remained for thirteen years and successive promotions eventually made him junior partner. This firm extended its operations to St. Louis in 1843 and Mr. Shapleigh’s business capacity, understanding of the trade and powers of organization led to his selection for the establishment of the hardware house of Rogers, Shapleigh & Company, under which name the trade was continued until the death of the senior partner. Thomas D. Day was then taken in and the firm was reorganized under the name of Shapleigh, Day & Company, thus operating for sixteen years, or until the retirement of Mr. Day, when the firm of A. F. Shapleigh & Company continued the business until 1880. In that year the A. F. Shapleigh & Cantwell Hardware Company was incorporated and when Mr. Cantwell retired in 1888, the name was changed to the A. F. Shapleigh Hardware Company, which was retained until the retirement of Mr. Shapleigh in 1901. The business was then reorganized as the Norvell-Shapleigh Hardware Company. From 1843 A. F. Shapleigh was the head of this well-known establishment and from its incorporation until his retirement acted as president. He trained his sons to the business, except Dr. John B. Shapleigh, who is a prominent aorist, and Richard W., now first vice president, and Alfred L., treasurer, exercise a controlling interest in the house, which from its organization has made continuous progress, enjoying that creditable and enviable prosperity which results from careful systematization, undaunted determination and the execution of well-defined plans and purposes. Today the house has no superior in the entire Mississippi valley, its ramifying trade interests reaching out to many sections of the country, while the development of the business has been an indispensable factor in making St. Louis the center of the hardware trade.
Aside from his connection with this business Mr. Shapleigh was associated with various other business concerns, all of which constitute elements in the city’s development as well as the source of revenue to himself. In 1859 he became identified with the State Bank of St. Louis and in 1862 was elected a director of the Merchants National Bank, so continuing until 1890, when he resigned in favor of his son Alfred L. He was also president of the Phoenix Insurance Company, vice president of the Covenant Mutual Life Insurance Company and interested in the Hope Mining Company and the Granite Mountain Mining Company.
The marriage, of Mr. Shapleigh and Miss Elizabeth Anne Umstead, of Philadelphia, was celebrated in 1838, and they became parents of eight children, five of whom survive: Mrs. J. Will Boyd, A. F., Dr. John B., Richard W. and Alfred Lee Shapleigh.
The death of Augustus F. Shapleigh occurred in February, 1902, when he had reached the venerable age of ninety-two years. Thus passed from life one whose activity made the world better. While he never sought the distinction that comes in political and military circles his record was characterized by the faithful performance of each day’s duty to the best of his ability—and that his ability was of superior order is indicated in the splendid results which he achieved. His entire career was in conformity with the highest standard of commercial ethics and his history indicates that splendid success and an honored name may be won simultaneously. In early manhood he gave his political support to the whig party and on its dissolution joined the ranks of the republican party. He was long a member of the Central Presbyterian church and religion was to him no mere idle word. It guided him in all his relations with his fellowmen and he ever strove toward those ideals of living which were set before the world by the Nazarene teacher more than nineteen centuries ago.
Samuel Cupples is a merchant and manufacturer of St. Louis. His business career has been characterized by a spirit of general helpfulness. He has displayed many of the methods of the pioneer resulting in benefit to the business interests of the city at large, and along lines from which no personal profit has accrued he has labored to the benefit of the general public. The Manual Training School of St. Louis owes its existence in large measure to him and the lines upon which it was established have served as a model for practically all of the training schools of the country.
Mr. Cupples was born in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, September 13, 1831, his parents being James and Elizabeth (Bigham) Cupples, both of whom were natives of County Down, Ireland, whence they emigrated to the United States in 1814. The father was an educator of considerable note and the son was qualified for a business career in a school which his father established at Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. When fifteen years of age he made his way westward to Cincinnati and there entered the employ of Albert O. Tylor, the pioneer dealer in woodenware in the west. Industrious, painstaking and withal a capable youth, he quickly mastered the details of the business and won the confidence of his employers until the management of the Cincinnati business was practically entrusted to him.
In 1851 he came to St. Louis and established a woodenware house in this city. The business as originally organized was conducted under the firm style of Samuel Cupples & Company. In 1858 Thomas Marston became associated with him under the firm name of Cupples & Marston. The succeeding twelve years constituted an epoch of prosperity for the house, after which the partnership was dissolved to be succeeded by the firm of Samuel Cupples & Company, the junior partners being H. G. and R. S. Brookings and A. A. Wallace. A reorganization of the business in 1883 led to the adoption of the firm name of Samuel Cupples Woodenware Company, of which Mr. Cupples became president and has so continued to the present writing in 1909. This establishment is the largest of its kind in the United States. There are many subsidiary companies which cluster around and contribute to the growth and prosperity of the city. Chief among these are the St. Louis Terminal Cupples Station & Property Company, now belonging to the Washington University by gift of Samuel Cupples and Robert S. Brookings, and the Samuel Cupples Envelope Company. The "Cupples Station" as it is called, is an institution more valuable to the merchants of the city than any other established for their benefit within the memory of the present generation. To avoid expense and delay incident to the carting of goods to and from the various depots of the city, Mr. Cupples and Mr. Brookings purchased a large tract of land adjacent to a point at which practically all the railroads of the city have a junction and there erected a system of warehouses, the basements of which are traversed by a network of railroad tracks. Here a vast business center has been created, at which merchants of St. Louis receive and reship goods, aggregating in value many millions of dollars annually, while the expense of handling such goods has been reduced to a minimum. The growth of the woodenware business, of which Mr. Cupples is still the head, has been phenomenal. From the first Mr. Cupples gathered around him, as all captains of industry do, a host of able lieutenants, and to them is accorded by him much of the credit of the wonderful growth of the business. To other fields he has extended his activities in developing the manufacturing interests of the city.
While the work he has accomplished in commercial fields would alone entitle him to distinction, Mr. Cupples has also been active in promoting the public welfare and the general interests of the city. He has labored earnestly to further the religious, educational and charitable institutions of St. Louis and has been particularly interested in the development of the public-school system.
For more than half a century Mr. Cupples has been actively and prominently identified with the Methodist Episcopal church South. Immediately after he came to the city in 1851, he joined the "Old Fourth Street" church, the second Methodist church established in St. Louis and then located on Fourth street and Washington avenue, where the Boatmen’s Bank is now. Mr. Cupples took a class of the Sunday school work the day he joined. His most notable and far-reaching Sunday school work was in connection with the Cote Brilliante development. When Mr. Cupples opened a Sunday school in that northwestern suburb, which was coming into prominence for homes of people doing business in the city, there was neither church nor Sunday school west of Grand avenue. Mr. Cupples organized a Sunday school in an old schoolhouse and carried it on until, through his efforts, a lot was bought and a chapel erected. Mr. Cupples was the superintendent of that pioneer Sunday school and the active head of the religious organization in Cote Brilliante twenty-one years, until he moved into the city. The chapel was transferred to the Presbyterians, who now have a fine church on the site. Within the district from Grand avenue to the Six-Mile House and from Olive street road to the cemeteries, the Cote Brilliante chapel was at first the only church. The enrollment in the only public school in the district—the Cote Brilliante school—was one hundred and thirty-two children. Today, in that same district, there are fifteen or more churches and twenty-two thousand school children. Mr. Cupples led the movement for better school facilities in Cote Brilliante until by special taxation a building considered a great improvement in those days was erected. He did not relax until a tract containing three and one-half acres was acquired from the funds thus raised. The idea at the time was to provide a good playground. That tract is now occupied by one of the finest school buildings of St. Louis.
Mr. Cupples was always deeply interested in education and soon after the old "Thirteenth Ward" became a permanent part of St. Louis, Mr. Cupples was chosen a member of the board of public schools; and a most valuable member he was. During 1877-78 he made the acquaintance of Professor C. M. Woodward, of Washington University, then a member of the same board. From Professor Woodward he learned of his proposal to establish a Manual Training School as a sub-department of Washington University. He was greatly pleased with the theory and plan of the scheme as outlined in a reprint of an address by Dr. Woodward before the Missouri State Teachers Association at Carthage in August, 1878. Believing that the scheme proposed was practical, he took the lead in the establishment of the school, offering to support the experiment for five years. Accordingly, he was placed on the first managing board when the act of establishment was passed by Washington University on June 17, 1879. Thus Mr. Cupples became officially associated with Washington University. In this move he was heartily seconded by Messrs. Gottlieb Conzelman, Edwin Harrison, Ralph Sellew and Dr. William G. Eliot, president of Washington University.
The history of the Manual Training School, the pioneer of the new departure in secondary education, has been given elsewhere. Suffice it to say that as the school grew in strength and popularity the interest of Mr. Cupples increased. In 1884 he proposed and secured for the school a special endowment to which Mr. Ralph Sellew, Mr. Conzelman and himself were equal contributors. Mr. Timothy G. Sellew, of New York, the nephew of Ralph Sellew, generously carried out the intention of his uncle, who died during the negotiations. The definite purpose of this endowment was to promote the attendance of bright boys in straitened circumstances.
The next logical step for Mr. Cupples to take after providing for an increasing attendance in the Manual Training School was to provide for the higher technical education of the graduates thereof. He was delighted, and possibly surprised, to find that the discipline and culture of the Manual Training School, in spite of its very practical side, served generally to inspire a strong desire for more and higher education, usually of a technical character. Mr. Cupples then saw that the success already gained was but the beginning of a greater success to be gained in the higher department of the university. His intimate acquaintance with Professor Woodward, the dean of the School of Engineering and Architecture, gave him every opportunity to study the needs of the university and to appreciate the splendid opportunity there presented for service to the cause of higher education.
Various plans for carrying forward the work were drawn, discussed and laid aside as the horizon widened and the magnitude of the undertaking came into view. Finally, when the great university leader appeared in the person of Mr. Robert S. Brookings, the problem, how to build and equip a great university which should appeal not to a class or a few select classes, but to all classes—not to humanists alone, but to humanity—was solved.
This is not the place to speak of the magnificent work of Mr. Brookings in reestablishing and developing Washington University, but it is proper to add that Mr. Cupples was and is his worthy partner, not only in business, but in this great educational enterprise he is to be credited not only with the gift of his half-ownership in Cupples Station (q. v.) but with the gift of three splendid university halls—"Cupples I" for Civil Engineering and Architecture; "Cupples II" for Mechanical and Electrical Engineering; and the Engineering Laboratory. They stand today as monuments of his wisdom and his liberality.
The educational work of Mr. Samuel Cupples will he finished only with his life. His benefactions to struggling institutions outside the city have been neither few nor small, and his helping hand, when help has been sorely needed, has been truly a godsend to those responsible for the administration of Central College, at Fayette, Missouri; Vanderbilt University, at Nashville, Tennessee; the St. Louis Manual Training School and the technical department of Washington University.
The same bent of mind which has enabled Mr. Cupples to develop his business interests and which has inclined him toward the most practical and useful forms of educational facilities has characterized his philanthropic and charitable work. Mr. Cupples has been for many years an officer and is now the head of the St. Louis Provident Association, which has expended for the relief of the poor of St. Louis one million three hundred and twenty-six thousand and three hundred and nine dollars. Perhaps in all of the history of charitable work a like amount has not been expended elsewhere for relief of distress with less of waste or more of deserved benefit. The organization of this association has been perfected under the study and supervision of Mr. Cupples and other business men like him to do the most for the worthy and to prevent imposition upon the generous by the unworthy. A cardinal principle of the Provident Association is to investigate all cases, to encourage people to help themselves and to discourage pauperism.
Mr. Cupples was married in 1860 to Miss Martha S. Kells, of St. Louis, daughter of Thomas and Elizabeth (Finney) Kells. For a considerable portion of her married life Mrs. Cupples gave almost her entire time to philanthropic work. She devoted herself especially to the Girls Industrial Home when it was located upon Eighteenth and Morgan streets and to the Methodist Orphans Home. Mr. Cupples shared the interest of his wife during her lifetime in this work. After Mrs. Cupples’ death, Mr. Cupples continued to give a great deal of attention to the institutions.
Perhaps the strongest tribute that could be paid to Mr. Cupples as a philanthropist has been the selection of him to carry out the wishes of several citizens of St. Louis desiring to do something for their kind. Dr. Bradford gave his estate toward the support of the Methodist Orphans Home. The beautiful structure on Maryland avenue, one of the handsomest and best equipped "Homes" in the country, was erected by Mr. Cupples as a memorial to Mrs. Cupples. The estate of Dr. Bradford became a notable part of the endowment. The administration of the Bradford bequest was left largely to the business judgment of Mr. Cupples. When Mr. Barnes decided that his estate should go to found a splendid hospital in the city of his adoption and lifelong business success, Mr. Cupples was one of those he consulted and selected to carry out the provisions of his will. When Richard M. Scruggs died, a partnership in good work of a third of a century was dissolved, but the business did not stop. Between Mr. Scruggs and Mr. Cupples had existed an extensive cooperation in benevolence. Mr. Scruggs had been president of the Provident Association. Mr. Cupples took up the responsibility. He has passed his seventy-seventh milestone, but his relationship to his business, to the educational institutions, to the church, to the philanthropies, is still active and potent. Samuel Cupples, as the years go by, instead of passing out of the knowledge of his fellow citizens, seems to grow intellectually and morally upon the whole community.
Edwin O. Stanard, president of the Stanard-Tilton Milling Company, stands as a representative of that class of business men who, when called to public service, have given proof not only of loyalty and patriotism, but also of business ability in handling public affairs that has made their service of signal value to the commonwealth and to the nation. As lieutenant governor and representative of his district in congress his labors were of the utmost benefit to his constituents and the people at large. While political ambition has never been a characteristic of his life, when called by his fellowmen to serve them, he brought to bear in the discharge of his duties the same conscientious purpose, laudable ambition and unfaltering determination which have characterized him in every other relation.
New Hampshire numbers him as a native son, his birth having occurred in Newport, January 5, 1832, his parents being Obed and Elizabeth N. (Webster) Stanard. He is descended from an honored New England ancestry. His great-grandfather Webster and his great-grandfather, William Stanard, both won renown as soldiers of the Revolution. The latter was a member of the committee of safety of Newport, New Hampshire, and also served as a private under command of Captain Uriah Wilcox and Colonel Benjamin Ballou. His great-grandfather Webster was a lieutenant in Captain Joseph Dearborn’s New Hampshire Company, which marched with the Continental troops against Canada in 1776 under the leadership of General Montgomery.
Obed Stanard, father of the Hon. Edwin O. Stanard, devoted his life to general agricultural pursuits and in 1836 left the old Granite state to become a resident of Van Buren county, Iowa, which at that time was under territorial rule. The Indians far outnumbered the white settlers save as the latter race had made settlement along the Mississippi river and were engaged in trade there. A few venturesome and courageous spirits had pushed their way into the interior and were reclaiming the state for the uses of civilization.
Amid the scenes and environments of pioneer life Edwin O. Stanard spent his early boyhood. The state became rapidly settled, however, and provided excellent opportunities for a younger generation, especially in education lines. Mr. Stanard attended the public schools of Iowa and afterward became a student in Lane’s Academy at Keosauqua, Iowa, where he completed his course at the age of twenty years. He afterward engaged in teaching school. On leaving Iowa he came to St. Louis and later went to Madison county, Illinois, where he followed the profession of teaching for three years. Believing that it would prove a wise step to qualify more fully for the duties of a commercial career, he matriculated in the Jones Commercial College, of St. Louis, in the summer of 1855 and in 1856 secured a position as bookkeeper with a business firm of Alton, Illinois.
About two years later Mr. Stanard established a commission business in St. Louis, continuing until 1866. In the undertaking he manifested the same spirit of undaunted enterprise and unabating energy that has characterized him throughout his entire life and thus he laid the foundation for his present success. In fact the growth of his business was such that he felt justified in entering into broader fields of labor and established several branch houses in other cities. In 1865 he turned his attention to the milling business also in St. Louis, under the name of E. O. Stanard & Company and thus started upon a business career that has been crowned with splendid success. Two years later he purchased a large flour mill in Alton, Illinois, and since that time the name of Stanard has become synonymous with milling operations in the middle west. The name of the firm was changed to the E. O. Stanard Milling Company in 1886 and to the Stanard-Tilton Milling Company in January, 1906, with Mr. Stanard at its head. He has since been the chief executive officer, for a period of a third of a century, while Mr. Tilton has been secretary of the company for twenty years. Thoroughness and system have always characterized the conduct of the business and the several brands of flour which the company have produced have become recognized as among the best on the market, while the sales have extended not only throughout the United States, but also into Europe as well.
Mr. Stanard is a man of the keenest discernment. He looks from the circumference to the very center of things and seems to recognize with almost intuitive perception the elements which enter into a business interest and constitute the features of its success or failure. Such is the regard entertained for his judgment that his advice has been again and again sought on matters of moment in the business world and his cooperation has been solicited for the furtherance of many enterprises. He is now a director in the St. Louis Union Trust Company and also a director in the Boatmen’s Bank.
His public service, too, has been of a most important nature. Few men have displayed such intense and active interest in the welfare of the city without hope of some reward for time and effort expended in promoting public progress. Mr. Stanard has been a conspicuous figure on the floor of the Merchants Exchange and has for many years occupied official positions therein, serving as president in 1865. He has also been one of the vice presidents of the National Board of Trade. During the year 1903 he was president of the directorate of the St. Louis Exposition and was leader in the Autumnal Festivities Association, now known as the Business Men’s League. He has also been president of the Citizens Fire Insurance Company for fourteen years. He has displayed the utmost zeal and devotion in promoting interests of public moment and has been a frequent delegate to commercial and similar conventions in the principal cities of the Union, where his known standing in business circles has given his word weight in the councils. He is a close student of the questions of the day and of subjects of vital concern to the country and when he expresses an opinion thereon his views are always clear and forcible and based upon strong reasoning and logical deductions.
While St. Louis has profited largely by his efforts in business and kindred avenues, the leaders of the republican party, to the principles of which he had long given stalwart support, recognized in him a man whose name and labors might prove of the strongest benefit in party work. Up to 1866 he had never been active in party ranks, but in that year the republicans of the state nominated him for lieutenant governor on the McClurg ticket. This honor came to him entirely unsolicited and in fact was a matter of intense surprise to him. When the leaders of the party impressed upon his mind the fact that it was a duty which he owed to the state to serve its interests, utilizing his ability for the benefit of the commonwealth at large, he consented to become a candidate and entered heartily into the work of the campaign. He is naturally a fluent speaker and yet one who convinces rather by his clear, concise statement of facts than by the employment of any particular oratorical' power. He readily understood all the strong points in his party’s cause and the fact that a man of Mr. Stanard’s well known business standing and integrity was endorsing certain measures was proof to many of his fellow citizens that they were worthy of uniform support. Sincerity, enthusiasm and loyalty marked all of his public utterances and he aided in molding the policy of the state during his service as lieutenant governor as few men in the second highest office in the commonwealth have done. The duties of his position included the forming of the committees of the senate as well as presiding over the proceedings of that body. In the former he displayed the most clear and sound judgment in determining the various capacities and aptitudes of the members whom he named for committee work. As a presiding officer he was always fair and impartial and public interests never suffered in the slightest degree in his hands. He made such an excellent record as lieutenant governor that on the expiration of his term of service his fellow citizens demanded that he should represent them in congress and in 1870 he became the republican candidate. He then resided in the lower congressional district of St. Louis, where the liberal republican sentiment was strongest. Colonel Grosvenor, editor of the Democrat, was made the candidate of the liberal party, with Governor Stanard as the nominee of the radical wing. The democracy had no candidate in the field, but in convention endorsed Colonel Grosvenor. Against this strong combination Lieutenant Governor Stanard was elected, largely through his forceful personal character and the implicit confidence which the people at large had in his ability and his fidelity to their interests. He took his seat in congress and at once began laboring earnestly and effectively toward promoting legislation which he deemed would prove of value to the country at large, and especially to the middle west. Up to this time congressmen from the east had been loath to vote appropriations for the maintenance and improvement of western and southern waterways. The question of cheap transportation to the seaboard involved the loading of vessels at New Orleans that might successfully pass the delta obstructions in the lower Mississippi. This question was of the utmost importance to St. Louis and other river points and Mr. Stanard devoted untiring energy to the presentation of the subject before the members of congress in such a way that sufficient legislation should be enacted. At length congress consented to try the experiment of keeping a deep channel between New Orleans and the Gulf of Mexico by means of jetties and Captain Eads was placed in charge of the work, although limited to the least promising of the three passes or mouths of the Mississippi river. All acknowledge the indebtedness of the middle west to Mr. Stanard and his associates in this work. Through the building of the jetties the Mississippi was made navigable to the gulf and has been so continued by means of the work carried on since that time.
His congressional work ended Mr. Stanard’s active service in political circles. He preferred to devote his time to his business interests and yet his financial aid and personal cooperation have been given to many movements for the benefit of the city. He looks at life from no narrow or contracted view, but studies all vital questions from every standpoint, and gives his opinions as the result of careful consideration.
On the 5th of June, 1866, in Iowa City, Iowa, Mr. Stanard was married to Miss Esther A. Kauffman, who died in 1906, leaving two daughters and a son. The elder daughter, Cora, is the wife of E. D. Tilton, secretary of the Stanard-Tilton Milling Company. W. K. is vice president of the Stanard-Tilton Milling Company. Ella is at home.
Mr. Stanard has long been a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal church and was selected by the Missouri conference as a delegate to the Ecumenical council at London in 1881. He does not carry sectarianism to the point of aggressiveness; on the contrary he is broad-minded and is in hearty sympathy with every movement that tends to uplift mankind, believing that the race is drawing all the time nearer and nearer toward that Ideal which was placed before the world in Palestine more than nineteen hundred years ago. In manner he is unaffected, cordial and sincere and has a most extensive circle of friends in all classes of people, including those who have been high in authority in state and national councils, men who have been prominent in controlling mammoth trade relations and also among those who occupy humble positions in life. True worth always wins his appreciation and recognition and the quality of honorable manhood always awakens his respect and regard.
The life record of Nathan Cole is a notable example of brilliant achievement through individual effort, and such a history makes the American title of "a self-made man" more to be envied than the inherited but often empty honors of royalty. There came to him the highest honor and respect—paid to him instinctively by those who knew aught of his history, recognizing in him a man whose inherent force of character and well developed talents gave him prestige beyond that of the majority of his fellows. His success in the business world alone would entitle him to distinction, and yet he found time in the midst of a most active and busy career to further the interests of his city and state through cooperation in many public measures that have been far-reaching and beneficial, and when serving as mayor of St. Louis and as member of the United States congress he brought to the discharge of his duties the same thoroughness and trustworthiness that marked him in the control of his private business concerns.
His birthplace was a little cottage which stood on the square bounded by Eighth, Ninth, Green and Morgan streets and in 18'65 was demolished to make place for more modern structures. His natal day was July 26, 1825. When prosperity had come to him in later years a feeling of admirable sentiment caused him to purchase the site of his old home property, and thereon he erected a business block at the corner of Eighth and Lucas streets that today contains a tablet to his memory His father, Nathan Cole, Sr., removed from Ovid, Seneca county, New York, to St. Louis in 1819, to retrieve if possible the fortune that had been swept away with the commercial depression following the war of 1812. Taking a large quantity of hides and furs and a small sum of money, his only possessions, he drove across the country to the Allegheny river, where he built a large raft and loading his cargo started for New Orleans by way of the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. On reaching the present site of Cairo, Illinois, he decided to visit St. Louis, which was then a small village populated almost entirely by French and Indians. Leaving his raft in charge of a hired companion, he walked to St. Louis, where he was received with such hospitality by the villagers and given such encouragement to settle here that he resolved to return after disposing of his cargo in New Orleans. He then started for his raft, but found that it had been stolen by the man in whose charge he had left it. Because of this he settled at once in St. Louis and shortly afterward brought his wife and six sons to the new home. He was descended from an old colonial family of English lineage and his father, the Rev. Nathan Cole, was a Baptist minister of Dutchess county, New York, who served for six years in the Revolutionary army.
The undeveloped business conditions of St Louis and the west did not prove a favorable feature in the business career of Nathan Cole, Sr., and during their early residence here the family experienced many hardships and met with many obstacles. The father was undoubtedly a man of good business ideas, save perhaps that he was in advance of the time. He foresaw that the situation of St. Louis must eventually make it the source of supply of salt meats for New Orleans and other southern cities and was among the first to establish here a business of that character, which today is one of the most important industries of the city, but at that time the market was not sufficient to make Mr. Cole’s venture a paying one. He established a small slaughtering and packing plant at Bloody Island, the present site of East St. Louis, and at that point conducted his business, although he maintained his residence in the Missouri town until 1837, when he removed with his family to Chester, Illinois. Again the country was undergoing a great financial depression and Mr. Cole, like thousands of others, suffered through the business conditions. In his youth he had acquired a liberal classical education and was always of a studious disposition, devoting his leisure hours to his books. He thus perfected his knowledge of Greek and Latin in his later years and became a proficient Greek scholar. He always kept in touch with questions of general interest and importance and was a contributor to the old Missouri Gazette, now the St. Louis Republic. He died in 1840, leaving to his children an untarnished name, but no patrimony that could figure as assets in the business world.
Nathan Cole, Jr., therefore largely acquired his early education in the school of adversity and his more advanced knowledge in the broader school of practical experience. Again and again, however, it has been demonstrated that it is only under the pressure of adversity and the stimulus of opposition that the best and strongest in men is brought out and developed, and Nathan Cole early became self-reliant, realizing fully the obligations and responsibilities of life, while "the spur of ambition pricked the sides of his intent" and his unfaltering effort resulted in successful accomplishment. His elder brother, H. C. Cole, determined that the boy should have a good education and therefore transferred him from the public schools to Shurtleff College at Upper Alton, Illinois, where for two years he pursued a preparatory course, his brother intending that he should continue his education in still higher lines. Knowing, however, the sacrifices that were being made in has behalf, Mr. Cole felt that he could no longer permit this and, leaving school, sought employment in St. Louis.
He had neither money nor friends when he arrived in the city and actual privation stared him in the face as he went upon a search for employment that for several days was fruitless. Finally, however, he secured a position with a salary of ten dollars per month and entered upon his work, resolved to make his service so valuable that it would win him promotion as well as the regard and trust of his employer. Resolutely setting himself to the mastery of every task assigned him and working diligently in doing anything that he believed would further the interests of the business, he gained promotion from time to time, and in fact his rise was so rapid that in a comparatively brief period he was earning fifteen hundred dollars a year, no small compensation for an employer at that day. It was then his privilege and pleasure to repay the former kindness of his brother, who was struggling with a load of responsibilities that would have crushed a less brave spirit, and Nathan Cole did what he could to aid his brother in the struggle and rejoiced to see him finally occupying a position of responsibility, with attendant success, in commercial circles.
On the 30th of January, 1851, Nathan Cole was united in marriage to Miss Rebecca Lane, a daughter of A. W. Fagin, one of the most successful millers and respected business men of St. Louis. Coming from Ohio in 1832, he established an extensive flour mill on Seventh street opposite the Missouri Pacific and Frisco freight depots, and sometime later he engaged extensively in the packing business under the name of Fagin, Me Queen & Company. He was a member of the old city council for many years before the days of the charter, served as president of that body and acted as mayor of St. Louis. He passed away a number of years ago, leaving the impress of his individuality, however, upon various phases of the city life.
Gradual progress in the business world was making Mr. Cole well known in commercial and industrial circles, and in July, 1851, he entered upon an independent venture as junior partner in the wholesale grocery house of W. L. Ewing & Company, with which he was associated for fourteen years, his efforts, business discernment and sound judgment proving effective factors in promoting the prosperity of the house and in winning for it the unassailable reputation which it enjoyed in commercial circles. On the 1st of January, 1865, Nathan Cole withdrew from that connection to join his elder brother, H. C. Cole, in organizing the house of Cole Brothers, commission merchants. From that day until the business was closed out in 1899 the firm and its succeeding corporation enjoyed continuous success through all the vicissitudes of the war and the panic that followed, and when the business was closed out the house stood among the first in St. Louis not only in the volume of trade, but also in respect to its reputation for fair and honorable dealing and for the faithful discharge of all trusts confided to its care by its numerous patrons. The lessons which Nathan Cole learned in early life concerning the value and worth of unfaltering industry, unabating energy and unswerving integrity guided him at all times and constituted the basis upon which he built his splendid success. In 1863, in connection with his father-in-law, A. W. Fagin, and other prominent business men, he assisted in inaugurating a new and important enterprise—the elevator system of handling grain in bulk, and, in spite of much opposition and predictions of failure, the project was pushed forward, resulting in the erection of the extensive elevator known as the St. Louis Grain Elevator, at the foot of Biddle street. This constituted the nucleus for the development of the present splendid elevator system of St. Louis, which has made this the grain market for the great country west of the Mississippi river.
Though his interests were continually increasing, Mr. Cole was always willing to aid in measures of public progress. He preferred to do this, however, as a private citizen and not as an officeholder, but in 1869, at the urgent request of his fellow citizens, he became a candidate for mayor, for it was the desire on the part of many to place in office a man who was capable of coping with certain evils that had been inflicted upon the people by political rings and bosses in the municipal government. These abuses were of such magnitude that only a man of large business experience and of unsullied character could successfully deal with them. After being made to feel that his duty was toward his city in this direction, Mr. Cole therefore withdrew from the active management of his grain business and to the mayoralty brought the same spirit of thoroughness and businesslike dispatch that characterized him in the control of his private interests. He redressed municipal wrongs, checked abuses and extravagances, placed the city upon a business basis, instituted many methods of progress and reform, reduced the city debt and enhanced the municipal credit. A new and improved city charter was also adopted, and the whole administration, on account of its beneficence and integrity, will ever constitute a bright page in the political history of St. Louis. Positively declining to again become a candidate, Mr. Cole at the close of his term resumed the management of his private business affairs, and yet again and again his advice and cooperation were sought concerning affairs of general moment. In 1876 he was again called to public life to represent his district in the forty-fifth congress. Once more he accepted the nomination from a sense of duty and not from a desire for office, and again he gave to his constituents a service the value of which was universally acknowledged. As a business man and patriotic citizen he went to Washington and devoted himself especially to furthering the commercial interests of St. Louis and the Mississippi valley, ardently advocating closer business relations with Mexico and South America, his speech upon commercial relations with Mexico attracting widespread interest and most favorable comment in America, while in the southern republic it was hailed as the dawn of a better era. It was widely reprinted in the Spanish language and Mr. Cole had the pleasure of receiving several copies elegantly printed and bound. Mr. Cole filled other public positions and yet he had no political ambition and always preferred to render in a more quiet capacity his aid to the city and country at large. He figured prominently in financial circles as the years passed and became connected with both the St. Louis National Bank and the National Bank of Commerce. He enjoyed the most unqualified esteem of his fellow merchants, who gave expression to their regard for Mr. Cole in his election to the presidency of the Merchants' Exchange in 1876. In the later years of his life he withdrew largely from active participation in business interests, enjoying a well-earned retirement and the substantial fruits of his former toil. He had been active in the management of the St. Louis Building & Savings Institution, which later developed into the National Bank of Commerce. On the 1st of November, 1862, he was elected to the directorate of the bank and for forty years was officially connected therewith, watching with interest its growth to its present extensive proportions. In 1899 he resigned the position of vice president, but remained as one of the directors and ever felt a commendable pride in the success of the institution.
The death of Mr. Cole occurred in 1904, when he was seventy-eight years of age, his widow and seven children, all of whom reached maturity, surviving him. Mr. Cole was by education and conviction a religious man. He early became a member of the Baptist church and was liberal in his support of the denomination in the city and state as well as in its missionary enterprises, both domestic and foreign He was never a narrow sectarian, however, but recognized the good in others, believing, and in his own life exemplifying the belief, that the most faithful Christian is he who most closely follows the example of the Master in doing good to his fellowmen.
Isaac Wyman Morton was one to whom the world instinctively paid deference because of his upright life and honorable purposes. At no time, in the stress of business, in his relations as a citizen, or in his associations in social life, did he ever forget the duties and obligations which he owed to his fellow men, and his personal traits of character were such as won for him high esteem. He was born May 4, 1847, in Quincy, Illinois, his parents being Charles and Rebecca (Wyman) Morton, the former born in Halifax, Massachusetts, and the latter in Charlestown, Massachusetts. The father died in the year of 1851.
The son, Isaac W. Morton, was educated in the Wyman Institute and in Washington University. At the age of seventeen he accepted a position as collector for the Second National Bank, where he remained until he resigned in order to enter the employ of the Simmons Hardware Company, which, in January, 1872, became the firm of E. C. Simmons & Company, at which time Mr. Morton was admitted to a partnership as the junior member of the firm. Two years later the Simmons Hardware Company was incorporated, Mr. Simmons becoming president and Mr. Morton vice president. The two gentlemen held their respective positions for twenty-four years, when they both withdrew from active management, although retaining their official connection with the company as advisory directors. The history of the house in the intervening years was one of steady progress and growth. In business of administrative direction and executive control Mr. Morton showed excellent ability and keen discrimination and his labors proved a strong element in the success of the house. The business was developed along modem lines and in keeping with the progressive spirit of the times, becoming one of the most extensive enterprises of this character in St. Louis. In all of his dealings he was thoroughly reliable as well as energetic and would tolerate no underhand means in accomplishing any purpose. The firm has therefore won an unassailable reputation and the success of the house was due in large measure to its unfailing integrity as well as its progressive business measures.
On the 19th of January, 1877, Mr. Morton was united in marriage to Miss Jeannette Filley, a daughter of Oliver Dwight Filley, of St. Louis. In his home he was a devoted husband and a popular, genial host, and with his wife delighted in extending hospitality to their many friends. He was also president of the Mercantile Library Association for two years and was a regular attendant at the meetings of the Ethical Society, also serving as a trustee of the Self-Culture Hall Association. He held to high ideals in manhood and citizenship and in every relation of life was true to the principles which he believed to be right in man’s relations with his fellowmen. Broad-minded and generous in thought and purpose, he enjoyed in the fullest degree the confidence and good will of those with whom he was associated. He passed away October 18, 1903, and his death was the occasion of deep and widespread regret to his many friends.
John Joseph Glennon, archbishop of the St Louis diocese and one of the eminent divines of the Roman Catholic ministry, was born in Kinnegad, County Meath, Ireland, June 14, 1862, his parents being Mathew and Catherine (Kinsella) Glennon. Reared in the land of his nativity he pursued a preparatory course of study in St. Mary’s College at Mullingar and was graduated from' All Hallows College in Dublin with the class of 1883. Having determined to take holy orders, he thus prepared for the ministry of the church and was ordained to the priesthood in 1884, being then assigned to active duty as assistant pastor in St. Patrick’s church, Kansas City, Missouri, where he remained from 1884 until 1887. He was pastor of the Catholic cathedral there under Bishop Hogan from 1887 until 1892, was vicar-general of the diocese from 1892 until 1894, and in the latter year was made administrator of the diocese, in which position he continued for ten years. In the latter year he was appointed coadjutor bishop of Kansas City with right of succession and consecrated titular bishop of Pinara in June, 1903. and, on the 13th of October of that year, was appointed archbishop of St. Louis following the death of Archbishop Kain. He has thus attained to one of the highest ecclesiastical offices and under his guidance and influence the church is being continually expanded as a forceful factor in the moral progress of the city.
While the world yields its tribute of admiration to him who wins success in business it instinctively pays deference to the individual whose business methods will stand the closest investigation. The name of Byron Nugent became a synonym for extensive commercial transactions in St. Louis. He stood at the head of one of its largest business houses and the methods which he employed in his trade relations gained for him the honor and respect of his colleagues, and the confidence and good will of all who knew him. His life record began in Marysburgh, Prince Edward county, Canada West, July 31, 1842, his parents being Thomas and Eleanor A. (Morgan) Nugent. After attending the public schools he became a student in Victoria College at Coberg, Ontario, and made his initial step in the business world in connection with a dry-goods house at St. Thomas, Canada, in 1855. He afterward engaged in business on his own account at Mount Vernon, Illinois, for three and one-half years, and in 1873 removed from that city to St. Louis, where he established a dry-goods store under his own name. Later a partnership was formed under the style of B. Nugent & Brothers and in 1899 the growth of the business justified its incorporation as the B. Nugent & Brother Dry Goods Company. Byron Nugent was elected to the presidency and so continued until his death. He was also a director of the Boatmen’s Bank of St. Louis and his name was ever an honored one on commercial paper. He built up a business of mammoth proportions and the methods which he employed were ever those which would bear the closest investigation and scrutiny. In all of his business affairs he was never known to take advantage of the necessities of another nor was his path ever strewn with the wreck of other men’s fortunes.
In 1873 Mr. Nugent was married to Miss Julia L. Lake and to them were born three sons, Edwin T., Byron and Julian L. In his social relations Mr. Nugent was connected with the Mercantile, St. Louis Country and Noonday Clubs, and his religious faith was indicated in his membership in the Episcopal church. He was a man of high ideals and constantly endeavored to reach the exalted standard which he set up for himself. He occupied a prominent position among those who achieved prominence as men of marked ability and substantial worth.
While the name of William Henry Woodward became synonymous with the printing business in St. Louis, it was not alone by reason of the mammoth enterprise of this character which he organized and developed that he was recognized as one of the foremost residents of the city. He was entitled to prominence in other lines, for his activity in connection with various charities and benevolences did much to ameliorate hard conditions of life for the unfortunate. Moreover, he was one to whom the word citizenship was no mere idle term. He rendered full return for the privileges and opportunities that were his because of his residence in St. Louis and gave in compensation faithful and effective service in promoting public progress and advancing the general good in many lines. Wherever he was known and in whatever condition of life he was placed, he sought for all that is best in American manhood, and his influence and memory remain as an indelible impress upon the lives of those with whom he was closely associated.
His birth occurred on the 11th of December, 1834, in Hereford, England, his parents being the Rev. William Hawkins and Elizabeth (Hill) Woodward. In early life his father was apprenticed to the watchmaker’s trade in Coventry, and later was graduated from Highbury College and entered the Congregational ministry. Rev. Woodward was pastor of a church in Hereford when Bishop Doane of New Jersey visited England in 1841, at which time a controversy upon certain theological subjects took place between the Bishop, himself and other dissenting clergymen. The result of this controversy was that the Rev. William Hawkins Woodward came to America, was ordained in the Episcopal church by Bishop Doane, at Burlington, New Jersey, and took charge of St. Mary’s parish in West Philadelphia. He was afterward rector of Zion church at Pontiac, Michigan, and later accepted the pastorate of Grace church at Madison, Wisconsin, where he remained until his removal to St. Louis in 1851. Here he became rector of Grace church in North St. Louis and continued to serve the parish until 1858, when, at the age of fifty-four years, he passed from this life. A contemporary biographer has said: "Mr. Woodward was a remarkable man in many respects. He was possessed of a liberal education and his tastes ran largely in pursuit of scientific subjects. He was especially fond of natural sciences and mechanics. He lectured on these subjects in several institutions of learning, among which were Professor Wyman’s Institute for Boys, the Missouri Blind Asylum and the high school at Alton. He made all his own scientific apparatus. He was also an accomplished musician and was quite proficient in the use of several different instruments."
After spending the first eight years of his life in the land of his nativity, William Henry Woodward, who was one of a large family of children, then accompanied his parents to the new world in 1842. His equipment for life was a public-school education, and financial assistance was not forthcoming when he started out in the business world. His record, however, is another proof of the fact that it is under the pressure of necessity and the stimulus of competition that the best and strongest in man is brought out and developed. Serving an apprenticeship at the printer’s trade in Madison, Wisconsin, in the office of Colonel David Atwood, publisher of the Wisconsin Statesman, he there remained from 1849 until 1852, when the Woodward family removed to St. Louis, and in this city he secured a position on the Missouri Republican, then the leading newspaper in the Mississippi valley. From the position of apprentice in the job department he worked his way steadily upward through successive promotions, continuing with the paper for thirteen years. Prompted by the laudable ambition to one day engage in business on his own account, he not only thoroughly mastered the business in order to gain a comprehensive knowledge of the trade, but also carefully saved his earnings until he felt that his capital and experience justified his establishing a printing business in the fall of 1864. Purchasing the plant of George H. Hanson on Main street, opposite the old State Bank, he bent his energies to the development of the business, which, in the course of years, grew to mammoth proportions until the present firm name of Woodward & Tiernan Printing Company is known throughout the country and is a synonym for all that is standard in this line of work.
In establishing his business, Mr. Woodward formulated certain rules, from which he never deviated, nor did he allow any departure therefrom on the part of any employee. One of these rules was thoroughness, and at no time did he ever allow work to leave the office until it was well done, according to the terms of the contract. The house, therefore, soon gained a reputation for reliable and excellent workmanship, and the trade greatly increased until it was necessary that enlarged quarters should be secured. The first removal was made in 1888, when the style of the firm was changed to Woodward & Tiernan and the location of the business to the northeast corner of Third and Pine streets, James Tiernan being at that time admitted to a partnership. The relations between the two gentlemen continued until the death of Mr. Tiernan, and under their capable control the business enjoyed phenomenal growth. In 1872 W. B. Hale was admitted to a partnership under the style of Woodward, Titman & Hale, at which time still larger quarters were secured at the corner of Second and Locust streets. On the retirement of Mr. Hale in 1882 the old firm name of Woodward & Tiernan was resumed. Each year chronicled gratifying growth in their business, and in 1886 still larger accommodations were secured through an agreement with Gerard B. Allen, who erected for the firm a suitable building on his property at Nos. 309-315 North Third street. Before the foundation of the building was completed, however, Mr. Tiernan passed away, September 16, 1886.
Following the death of his partner, Mr. Woodward purchased the interest of Mr. Tiernan’s estate and organized a stock company, which was incorporated under the style of the Woodward & Tiernan Stock Company, with W. H. Woodward as president and treasurer. He continued as chief executive officer of the company throughout his remaining days and was always active in the control of the business, even after he associated his three sons with him in the enterprise. When the Allen building was erected it was thought that it would be adequate to the needs of the business for a long period, but in 1889 the company occupied an annex, which was erected for them by Captain John Scudder. Nine years later the property adjoining the Scudder building was purchased by the Woodward & Tiernan Printing Company, and the capacity of the plant was increased by the erection of a building sixty-four by one hundred and seven feet, thus giving altogether one hundred and thirty-three thousand superficial feet of space. As the business has grown the number of employees has increased, until eight hundred people are now earning their living within this mammoth establishment, and seventy men represent its interest in various parts of the world.
