13,99 €
A collection of lesser-known facts and stories from Berlin's past and present. A perfect read for anyone interested in looking behind the obvious and learning the often long-forgotten.
Das E-Book können Sie in Legimi-Apps oder einer beliebigen App lesen, die das folgende Format unterstützen:
Veröffentlichungsjahr: 2020
‘Actually, before Godwe are all Berliners.’
Theodor Fontane
notmsparker’s
Berlin Companion
or:
I did not know that about Berlin
Selected dispatches from the files of Kreuzberged.com
Beata Gontarczyk-Krampe
BERLINARIUM EDITIONS2016
To my four wonderful guys– Basti, Oskar, Franz and Ferdinand –without whom this book would never have happened
and
to my parents who taught methat you can live without fancy new shoesbut you cannot live without books
Presented by Berlinarium Editions
berlinarium-editions.de
Bibliografische Information der Deutschen NationalbibliothekDie Deutsche Nationalbibliothek verzeichnet diese Publikation in der Deutschen Nationalbibliografie; detaillierte bibliografische Daten sind im Internet über http://dnb.d-nb.de abrufbar.
Beata Gontarczyk-KrampeNOTMSPARKER’S BERLIN COMPANIONor: I did not know that about Berlin
Cover- und Buchgestaltung:The Office for Metropolitan Geography, BerlinLektorat: Jesse Simon
Alle Rechte vorbehalten.
eBook by ePubMATIC.com
List of Illustrations
Introduction
Berlin Basics
Berlin Etymologies
Berlin and Berlinerisch
Named after Berlin
Made in Berlin
Ick bin ein Berliner
Out in the Streets
Einsteigen Bitte!
Berlin on Wheels
Bright Lights
Fly Berlin
Building Berlin
East Berlin, West Berlin
Tunnel Vision
Lakes, Rivers and Canals
Glossary
Acknowledgements
About the Author
1. Reading the newspapers, 1914
Landesarchiv Berlin
2. Plan of Berlin by Ferdinand Boehm, 1862
Public Domain
3. Potsdamer Platz, 1928
Landesarchiv Berlin
4. Café Achteck in Chamissoplatz
5. Alexanderplatz, 1898
Landesarchiv Berlin
6. The First Berlin Kraftomnibus, 1915
Landesarchiv Berlin
7. Car parade in Charlottenburg, 1897
Landesarchiv Berlin
8. Imperial Continental gas-lamp
9. Zeppelin over Berlin, 1924
Ullstein Bild/Timeline Images
10. Belle-Alliance-Platz, 1880
Architekturmuseum Technische Universität zu Berlin
11. Brandenburger Tor from East Berlin, 1970
Ullstein Bild/Timeline Images
12. Courtyards in Boppstraße, Kreuzberg
13. Admiralsbrücke over the Landwehrkanal
14. Blücherplatz, 1902
Landesarchiv Berlin
‘The best way to become acquainted with a subject is to write about it’
Benjamin Disraeli
On the night of 13 November 1961, a group of workers arrived in Stalinallee, East Berlin’s grand boulevard, and proceeded to topple a giant bronze statue which had adorned the street for over ten years. The almost five-metre likeness of Josef Stalin was promptly dismantled, transported to a factory hall somewhere in East Berlin and chopped to pieces. The workers entrusted with the task that night had been strictly forbidden to keep any souvenirs, but Gerhard Wolf ignored the order. Stalin’s bronze ear and a small piece of his famous moustache can still be seen at the ‘Café Sibylle’ on the street which once bore Stalin’s name but is known today as Karl-Marx-Allee. As for the rest of Stalin … well, he too is still on display, in a way. In a twist of irony, or perhaps karma, one of the great tyrants of the twentieth century ended up in Berlin’s Tierpark, a zoo in the eastern locality of Friedrichsfelde: the statue was melted down and turned into a series of small bronze animals – little goats, bears and monkeys – placed throughout the zoo grounds.
It is stories such as these that first inspired the creation of Kreuzberged.com in 2011. Over the past five years, this Berlin-themed blog has devoted itself to excavating the lesser-known, the completely-forgotten and the unaccountably-strange tales lurking just beneath Berlin’s modern surface. The present volume offers a small selection of these stories from a city whose history is both inexhaustible and a source of constant surprises.
BEATA GONTARCZYK-KRAMPE
Reading newspaper reports about the outbreak of the First World War, 1 August 1914
photographer unknown—LANDESARCHIV BERLIN
What is Berlin anyway?
Berlin, as befits a capital city, is a heavyweight: with over 3.5 million inhabitants it is the most populous city in Germany; in the European Union, only London is larger. In continental Europe it comes fourth after Moscow, London and St Petersburg (not counting Istanbul, half of which is technically located in Asia). The Berliner Umland, or Greater Berlin area, is home to around 4.5 million people. Yet Berlin was a late bloomer: in 1710, the city – a Royal Capital and Residence created only a few years earlier through the consolidation of several smaller entities – measured a mere 6.26 km2 and counted fewer than 60,000 inhabitants. After the next major growth spurt in 1861, during which several large towns, villages, parishes and estates were incorporated into the city, Berlin could claim 547,000 residents living within 59.23 km2 of land. The Greater Berlin Act of 1920, however, would top all previous changes, spawning the giant that we know today: the area of the city was enlarged to cover 878.1 km2 and was home to 3.9 million people, which is more than the population as of 2015. Today, the city of Berlin, bounded by a border some 234 km long, contains 892 km2: it measures 45 km across, and only slightly less from north to south. But if we include the 50 towns and communities that make up the Berliner Umland, it tips the scales at a proud 2,851 km2. The following chapter presents some lesser-known facts and titbits about the city’s geography, history and current state.
Those looking for the centre of Berlin will be spoilt for choice: depending on what sort of centre you are looking for, you will find it either on top of Rotes Rathaus or on an inconsequential street corner in Kreuzberg. The former, marked by the top of the flagpole on the roof of the main city hall, is used as the so called Nullpunkt (zero point) for all statistical and cartographic measurements. Its precise location – at 52° 31’ 12” N and 13° 24’ 36” E – is a point of reference on all official maps, and its co-ordinates are used to determine the position of Berlin on international maps. Yet Berlin’s actual geographical centre (or, more precisely, its centroid) is somewhere else: you will find it at Alexandrinenstraße 12–14. A small but very heavy granite plaque, donated by the Stonemasons’ Guild of Berlin in August of 1997, lies in wait for any careless bikers trying to take a shortcut. Yet it marks the heart of the city. Well, almost. The actual centroid – at 52°30’10” N, 13°24’15” E – lies 50 metres further south, in the middle of a pavement leading to the primary school next door. After the centroid was established in 1990 and re-confirmed in 1994, the authorities chose the nearest most convenient spot. For obvious reasons.
Far from being flat-as-a-pancake, Berlin is cradled in a glacial valley between two plateaux: it is a city with plenty of highs and lows. Between its lowest and highest natural points there is a difference of some 85 m, which means that local cyclists should either be fit or equipped with a generous range of gears (they tend to be both). In order to establish the elevation of various Berlin landmarks, a special Vermessungspunkt (triangulation station) was set up in Britzer Garten, a park in the southern borough of Neukölln. Made of three sandstone pillars, with a funnel-shaped, metal mesh net stretched between them, they are placed exactly 45 m above the Normalnull (mean sea level – almost exactly the same altitude as the now-disused Tempelhof Airport. The pillars are used as the points of reference for all elevation and survey measurements carried out in Berlin.
Berlin is more than just a city. Along with Bavaria, Schleswig-Holstein and Rheinland-Palatinate it is also one of the 16 independent federal German Länder (states). As a city-state it belongs to an exclusive club of three: only Hamburg and Bremen enjoy the same status today. Like those two cities, Berlin was once a member of the Hanseatic League; it became a federal state as a result of its division into East and West Berlin after the Second World War, and the fact that it was controlled by four allied powers: Soviet, US, British and French. Although West Berlin was not sovereign – it was, after all, an occupied zone – it was not part of any other federal state nor, for that matter, of West Germany; as such, it was allowed to build its own administration, which effectively turned it into a state unto itself. Thus the title of the city’s highest-ranking official is Regierender Bürgermeister, or Governing Mayor, which is equivalent to Ministerpräsident (premier) in the other states of the German Federation. The Regierende Bürgermeister is elected by Berlin MPs, who belong to the Abgeordnetenhaus (the State Parliament); the Governing Mayor is, in turn responsible for appointing the eight members of the Berlin Senate. The Governing Mayor, the Senate and the State Parliament are, together, responsible for running the city. To this point, Berlin has had only one female Regierende Bürgermeisterin, a Social-Democrat and staunch Nazi-opponent named Louise Schroeder, who was appointed in 1947. Between 1949 and 1951 she acted as Mayor of West Berlin and, in 1970, she became the first woman ever to be granted the title of Ehrenburger (honorary citizen).
Until 2001 there were twenty-three Bezirke (boroughs or districts) of uneven size and population, but a large-scale administrative reform merged many of them into larger (but more demographically equal) entities. Berlin now has twelve Bezirke, each with its own fixed number from 1 to 12. They are:
1.MITTE
2.FRIEDRICHSHAIN-KREUZBERG
3.PANKOW
4.CHARLOTTENBURG-WILMERSDORF
5.SPANDAU
6.STEGLITZ-ZEHLENDORF
7.TEMPELHOF-SCHÖNEBERG
8.NEUKÖLLN
9.TREPTOW-KÖPENICK
10.MARZAHN-HELLERSDORF
11.LICHTENBERG
12.REINICKENDORF
As a result of this manoeuvre, the historic boroughs of Prenzlauer Berg, Tiergarten, Kreuzberg, Wedding and Tempelhof lost their former status and became mere Ortsteile (localities) instead. Many of those historic boroughs were reluctant to forgive the slight.
There are currently 96 localities distributed within the twelve boroughs. To confuse things even further, Berlin is also divided into 195 statistical areas whose borders are rarely consistent with those of the boroughs or localities. The localities have all been given a four digit code: the first two stand for the borough to which they belong, and the last two specify the locality itself; thus (0703) stands for Tempelhof— the third locality in the borough of Tempelhof-Schöneberg. If you live in Tiergarten, in the borough of Mitte, the number you are looking for is (0104), while Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg are hidden behind the ciphers (0201) and (0202) respectively. However, for most indigenous Berliners – and, as you will see below, the definition of a ‘real’ Berliner is harder to nail than a flea in a bucket – none of these numbers matter at all, and most are loath to accept the changes: for them Wedding is in Wedding and not in Mitte; and they would rather bite their own foot off than admit that Prenzlauer Berg is in Pankow.
With its replica slowly filling up the gap left by the original Berlin City Palace, many Berlin visitors and even some locals do not realise that, until 1920, the Stadtschloß was not part of the city. The Gutsbezirk Berlin-Schloß was an independent estate-borough, controlled not by the Berlin council but answering directly to the Administrative District (or County) of Niederbarnim. However, on 27 April 1920, a new bill known as the Greater Berlin Act (the full name in German is Gesetz über die Bildung einer neuen Stadtgemeinde Berlin, or Groß-Berlin-Gesetz for short), debated bitterly and finally pushed through by 17 votes, replaced a conglomerate of municipalities, rural communities and estates with one big municipal entity under central administration. The Act incorporated all of the old city of Berlin, plus seven independent municipalities (Neukölln, Charlottenburg, Schöneberg, Spandau, Wilmersdorf, Köpenick and Lichtenberg), 59 rural communities (Gatow, Hermsdorf, Schmökwitz, Marzahn and Heiligensee among others), and 27 estates including Schloß Biesdorf, Schloß Tegel, Grunewald Forst, Pfaueninsel and, of course, the Stadtschloß, to name just a few.
The perennial disputes over who is and who is not a ‘real Berliner’ remain unresolved. Traditionally, whoever can trace their family roots in Berlin back at least three generations can make a claim to the title. But then again, the statistics are merciless: only around 25% of all Berliners are Urberliner or ‘Berlin-natives’. Berlin, being home to almost 190 different nationalities, has always been a potpourri of ethnic groups: its first residents were principally Slavs, although they were later dominated by larger Germanic groups, with whom they successfully merged. This initial populace was enlarged by the arrival of the French, the Dutch, Bohemians, Jews (especially the Eastern and Central European Ashkenazi Jews), Silesians, Turks, Poles and many others. So far the best definition of a Berliner we have encountered in our research came from an Urberliner living in Australia: ‘If you jump out of a plane flying over Berlin and immediately start grumbling and moaning about something, you are a Berliner all right.’ Or we may simply choose to follow the generous declaration made by Theodor Fontane, a prominent author who adopted Berlin as his home: ‘Actually, before God, we are all Berliners.’
Which Famous Berliners Were Not From Berlin?
For centuries, Berlin has been a city of newcomers. Today, over 81% of all residents living within the S-Bahn Ring (or what is considered the inner city) come from outside the capital. But do not despair: being a stranger puts you in the illustrious company of these prominent Berliners who, technically speaking, were not Berliners at all.
ADOLPH MENZEL, painter: from Wrocław (formerly Breslau), Poland.
ALBERT EINSTEIN, physicist and Nobel Prize winner: from Ulm.
ALFREDDÖBLIN, physician, writer and author of the Berlin novel, Berlin Alexanderpltz: from Szczecin (formerly Stettin), Poland.
ALFRED GRENANDER, architect who built most of Berlin’s U-Bahn stations: from Skövde, Sweden.
BERTOLD BRECHT, playwright and theatre director: from Augsburg.
ERICH KÄSTNER, writer and author of many exquisite children’s books, including Emil and the Detectives: from Dresden.
ERICH MENDELSOHN, architect who designed the House of Metalworkers Union in Kreuzberg and the Einstein Tower in Potsdam: from Olsztyn (formerly Allenstein), Poland.
ERNST DIRCKSEN, the main architect of the Ringbahn and of the Stadtbahn: from Gdańsk (formerly Danzig), Poland.
ERNST REUTER, politician and the first Governing Mayor of West Berlin, who became known as known as Herr Berlin after taking an extremely firm stance during the Berlin Blockade: from Aabenraa, Denmark.
FRANZ HESSEL, writer and possibly the most distinguished Berlin flâneur: from Szczecin (formerly Stettin), Poland.
GEORG WILHELM HEGEL, philosopher: from Stuttgart.
GOTTFRIED BENN, physician, writer and essayist: from Putlitz.
HANS BALUSCHEK, artist, member of the Berliner Secession art group and painter of many excellent Berlin paintings: from Wrocław (formerly Breslau), Poland.
HANS FALLADA, writer and author of Wolf Among Wolves and Alone in Berlin: from Greifswald.
HERMAN BLANKENSTEIN, architect who designed many of Berlin’s schools, hospitals and market halls: from Grafenbrück.
HILDEGARD KNEF, actress, author and chanteuse: from Ulm.
JAMES HOBRECHT, city planner who created Berlin’s central urban development plan and designed Berlin sewerage system: from Memel (formerly Klaipeda), Lithuania.
JOSEPH PETER LENNÉ, Prussian gardener and landscape designer who created many of the old Berlin parks and gardens, including the Tiergarten: from Bonn.
KARL FRIEDRICH SCHINKEL, architect and city planner whose neo-classical style became de rigueur in nineteenth-century Berlin: from Neuruppin.
LESSER URY, painter, best known for his wonderfully out-of-focus paintings of Berlin streets in the rain: from Miedzychód (formerly Birnbaum), Poland.
PETER BEHRENS, architect who specialised in industrial architecture: from Hamburg.
THEODOR FONTANE, writer and author of many works about Berlin: from Neuruppin.
WERNER SIEMENS, engineer and inventor, founder of what later became Siemens AG: from Gehrden.
WILLY BRANDT, politician, German Chancellor and in 1957–1966
The bear is both the formal emblem and the informal symbol of the city, and the German word Bär is even present in the sound of the name. Yet there are no large furry carnivores to be found lurking in the word ‘Berlin’. The name is Slavonic, and its prefix ‘barl’ means swamp, morass or marshland. The first settlements built by the West Slavic Sprevane tribe emerged on the marshy land in the Berlin Glacial Valley around the eighth century, and the residents described themselves as ‘the people living on the banks of the Sprevja (or Spree)’. They were later replaced by or forced to co-exist with large groups of Germanic settlers invited to the region by Albrecht der Bär (Albert the Bear), the Askanian prince who became the first Margrave of Brandenburg: he is the other ‘bear’ sometimes wrongly cited as the inspiration for the city’s name. The first appearance of Berlin in the written records is found in a deed issued on 26 January 1244, in which Margraves Johann and Otto of Brandenburg rescinded their wrongly exercised right to the bequest of a deceased clergyman. One of the signatories of the deed was ‘Symeon, prepositus (Provost) de Berlin’, the very same Symeon whose name had already been featured for several years in another historic document: it is this latter document, dated 28 October 1237, which gave Berlin the date of its official birthday (see below).
As in Dickens, the story of Berlin is a tale of two cities. The Berlin of today has its roots not in one but in two small trading settlements. The first, named Cölln – an alternate spelling of Köln, the city in western Germany whose inhabitants were probably among the original settlers – was established on the Spreeinsel, a small island in the river Spree. The other, on the right bank of the river, was the Slavonic settlement of Berlin. Cölln is believed to be the older of the two. Its appearance in the written record precedes that of Berlin by seven years: a church-tithe deed, dated 28 October 1237, was signed by the Margraves Johann and Otto and witnessed by Symeon, the Plebanus de Colonia, or rector of Cölln. When the two settlements joined forces in 1307, they decided to build a convenient new bridge, the Lange Brücke (Rathausbrücke today), and their respective authorities – supported by the majority of wealthy residents – invested in a new town hall next to, or rather in the middle of it. Despite several fires (some of which left the building in cinders), it served them well until 1514, when the old town hall was demolished. The official reason for its removal was the planned expansion of the Stadtschloß; unofficially, Elector Joachim I (Nestor) wished to demonstrate his superiority over the sister cities and, eventually, get rid of the unsightly bridge with its primitive architecture. But what became of Cölln in the end? It disappeared in 1710 (the official 1709 edict came into force in 1710) when the recently crowned King Friedrich I merged the two cities and turned them into a single royal Prussian capital named Berlin. Yet, the name of Cölln lives on: today it can be found in Köllnischer Park, Köllnische Heide and, of course, Neukölln.
The answer to this question is simple: nobody really knows. Since there are no old deeds or other documents that might confirm the existence of Berlin before 1237, its age is measured from the church-tithe deed of Cölln issued that year. The cities of Cölln and Berlin, however, would have been in existence for much longer: the latest excavations have produced enough evidence to support the theory that the two sister-cities were roughly contemporary. An oak beam found in Stralauer Straße (Berlin) dates from 1174, while a similar find from Breite Straße 29 (originally the main street in Cölln) was successfully dated to 1171. Which makes today’s Berlin between 842 and 845 years old.
Although the bear contributed nothing to the Berlin’s name (see above), it nonetheless became a powerful symbol of the city. It first appeared on the city’s official seal in 1280 which featured an image of two bears flanking the Askanian eagle (the House of Askania – or Anhalt – was the German ruling family to which Albrecht der Bär, the first Margrave of Brandenburg, belonged): the bears stood for the sister-cities, Berlin and Cölln, while the eagle symbolised the overarching power of the Askanian rulers. The single bear did not appear on the seal until 30 October 1338: it was used to stamp a Ratsurkunde ueber Pfandegelder, a council deed regulating securities in loans and pawning. Both the bear seal of Berlin and the eagle seal used by the city of Cölln appeared on all key documents issued by their common council until as late as 1710, when the five independent cities of Berlin, Cölln, Friedrichswerder, Friedrichstadt and Dorotheenstadt were merged into the single royal capital and residence city of Berlin. The Berliner Bär has continued to act as the city’s symbol. It is featured on its official flag, its seal, and on its coat of arms. Not surprisingly, there are 107 bear sculptures to be found throughout the city: they decorate bridges, playgrounds, parks, zoos and even motorways around Berlin, mostly in the boroughs of Mitte and Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf. One tiny Berliner Bär is hidden inside the heart of Alexa, the sculpture by Mirko Siakku-Flodin placed in front of the large shopping centre in Alexanderstraße. Berlin had also kept an official Stadtbär (City Bear) since 1939; but in October of 2015, Schnute, the only female City Bear, died in her pit in Mitte’s Köllnischer Park. After Urs, Nante, Taps and Tilo, Schnute’s place will not be taken by another living animal.
From 1450 until 1 October 1875, the bear which appeared on the city crest sported a leather collar on its neck. Although some historians claim it stood for the city’s bondage and subjugation under Hohenzollern rule, its role, while crucial, might have been much less profound: as on many other crests, the collar prevented the bear from being mistaken for a boar or a hog. Berliners famously referred to the collar as the Gängelband, which is the German word for the straps of fabric attached to children’s clothes in order to prevent them from falling or running away. After the formation of the German empire in 1871, however, it did not seem fitting that the Kaiser’s capital city should sport a symbol of thraldom on its seal. When Ernst Fidicin, the city’s first archivist (and namesake of Kreuzberg’s Fidicinstraße), suggested dropping the collar to give Berlin a new, ‘independent’ crest, the idea was quickly adopted. Although it would take four years and countless discussions to work out all the details, the new Berliner Bär was ‘released’ on 1 October 1875, and remains free to this day.
Berlin might be unique but it is not alone. There are almost 120 other Berlins around the globe: thirty are towns in the United States whose residents were German or Prussian immigrants. The oldest of these was founded in Maryland in 1677. With its 3,500 ‘Berliners’, the Maryland version had a small moment of fame in 1998 when it was used as the small town of Hale, in the romantic comedy Runaway Bride with Julia Roberts. You will also find Berlins on the maps of Chile, Brasil and Colombia, as well as in Africa and even in Papua New Guinea, where the name harks back to the trade ships from Germany that arrived there in search of valuable spices. There are two Berlins in Russia and in the Ukraine respectively, three in Italy, several in Poland and even one in Australia. The village of Berlin, New Zealand, founded in 1874 by John Berlin, a Swedish gold-miner from Göteborg, has a population of six. Berlin can get quite high, too: Mount Berlin is the sixth highest volcano in the Antarctic, named after Leonard M. Berlin who led the first sledge expedition to explore the place. Berlin can also go deep: it is the name given to a deep-sea mountain, rising from the bottom of the Pacific off the shores of Hawaii.
In addition to lending its name to other places, Berlin has also been used as a surname. It is particularly widespread among Ashkenazi Jews, which is hardly surprising considering that the word ‘Ashkenazi’ comes from the Hebrew ‘Y’hudey Ashkenaz’ meaning ‘the Jews of Germany’. The largest of these groups would later settle in Eastern and Central Europe and develop their own language, Yiddish. Many took or were given the name Berlin as a surname and carried it with them across borders, sometimes in its original form but often slightly altered: Berliner, Barlin, Bärlin, Bärling, Berling, and even Beilin are all considered to be examples of this altered toponym. Many of the Jewish immigrants who arrived in Berlin in the eighteenth century, attracted by the liberal and tolerant attitudes of the city’s rulers, often received the name Berlin as a sort of a welcoming present; many did not have a hereditary family name. Today, the surname has forty-four entries in the Berlin telephone directory, and around 3,500 people bear the name throughout Germany. The first written record of Berlin as a family name is believed to be that of Hans Bernhard Berlin from Heilbronn. It dates back to 1407.
What Are the Most Popular Surnames in Berlin?
Quite predictably, the most common surname in Berlin is Schmidt. It is followed by Müller, Schulz, Schneider, Lange, Meyer, Fischer, Hermann, Weber, Schröder, Krüger and Bauer. All of the above are traditional German family names and, with only one exception, refer to the names of professions; Lange is the only surname on the list with its roots in an adjective, the Middle-German ‘lank’, meaning tall. Here is the basic etymology of the other surnames:
SCHMIDT blacksmith
MÜLLER miller
SCHULZ mayor, sheriff (same as Schultheiß)
SCHNEIDER tailor
MEYER dairy farmer or a grange steward
FISCHER fisher
HERMANNHeer (army) + Mann (man, soldier)
WEBER weaver
SCHRÖDER tailor (from the North-German schrôden, to cut off)
KRÜIGER inn-keeper (in Low German)
BAUER farmer
The current Regierender Bürgermeister of Berlin, sworn in on December 2014, has the most popular surname and the second most popular first name in Germany, on top of having the second most common Berlin family name: his name is Michael Müller.
Detail from a plan of Berlin and surroundings by Ferdinand Boehm, 1862
Digitised by Zentral- und Landesbibliothek Berlin—PUBLIC DOMAIN
Why is Steglitz called Steglitz?
On 4 April 2000, when the historic boroughs of Friedrichshain and Kreuzberg were merged into a single large district (the act came into effect on 1 January 2001), their respective representatives met to discuss an important question: where should their new mayor reside? The task proved to be practically insurmountable and the debate threatened to go on forever when one of the participants, Helios Mendiburu, then the Social-Democratic Mayor of Friedrichshain, announced that he had had enough and proposed that they flip a 5-Mark coin. Friedrichshain won and Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg was born. The name of this newly created borough is easy to explain. But why was Kreuzberg called Kreuzberg in the first place? And why does ‘der Wedding’ have a definite article? The following chapter hopes to answer these questions, and more, with a small selection of Berlin’s most intriguing etymologies.
Charlottenburg was named in 1705 after Queen Sophie Charlotte, wife of Friedrich III, the Elector of Brandenburg who then became King Friedrich I in Prussia (not ‘of’ Prussia, as parts of it were still controlled by the Polish king Augustus II the Strong). Sophie Charlotte had a summer palace in the area, the Schloß Lützenburg, which became Schloß Charlottenburg after the Queen’s death. Long before Friedrich gave the palace as a gift to his wife, the area had been home to three settlements, inhabited by both Slavic and Germanic people: Lietzow, Casowand Glienicke. While Casow and Glienicke disappeared over time – the latter would be hidden somewhere under Kantstraße, Fasanenstraße and Ku’damm today – it was Lietzow that survived the longest. Its traces can still be found, not only in the names Lietzensee, Lietzenseepark and, of course, the original name of the Palace, but also in the village-like area around Alt-Lietzow, just north of the Rathaus Charlottenburg. Like most of central Berlin, the area is located in a wet valley, and it should come as no surprise that the name Lietzow has its roots in the old Slavonic word luza, meaning swamp, moor or wetlands. (The large industrial region in southeast Brandenburg, where the old Slavic tribe of Sorbians still live, is called Lausitz (German) or Łužyca (Sorbian) for the same reason.)
Traces of Charlottenburg’s wetlands can be found underneath Ku’damm, one of Berlin’s major shopping streets. The paved street was built in the late nineteenth century along an old wooden-plank road used by the king and his coachmen on their route from the Stadtschloß out to the palace in Grunewald, a forest to the west of the city. The same swampy ground was still causing trouble in 1972, during the construction of the underground U7 Line. In what is known as the Nasses Dreieck (Wet Triangle), a site between Hebbelstraße, Zillestraße und Fritschestraße, the lowering of ground water levels caused the old oak piling on which the buildings had been constructed to re-surface and dry out or rot. As a result, the buildings were declared unstable and had to be torn down. The situation repeated itself in 1995 when an outer wall and staircase belonging to a building in Fritschestraße began to sink into the ground. Most of the buildings still standing in the ‘Wet Traingle’ are now supported by 30 m concrete piles.
Despite Charlottenburg’s damp nature, it became a favourite holiday destination for well-heeled Berliners in the nineteenth century, when better-quality roads increased the comfort of travel. The first horse-drawn tram drove there from Brandenburger Tor in 1865. Many of the summer guests decided to make Charlottenburg their permanent home, and elegant apartment houses began to appear around Alt Lietzow and beyond. By 1893 Charlottenburg had over 100,000 residents and was the second largest city in Brandenburg after Berlin. In 1920, the Greater Berlin Act turned it, together with the estates of Plötzensee, Heerstraße and Jungfernheide, into the seventh borough of Berlin: the Neue Westend. In the aftermath of the Second World War, it became the heart of West Berlin, with Ku’damm as its best-known address. Today’s Charlottenburg, reduced to a mere locality in Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf, may no longer enjoy its former position as Berlin’s centre but, like 150 years ago, it remains a very popular and affluent corner of the city.
Französisch Buchholz or ‘French Buchholz’, a locality in Pankow owes its name to the French Huguenots who settled there from 1687 onward. With the lands around Berlin ravaged by the Thirty Years’ War, which not only decimated the population but also brought the economy to the edge of collapse, the Great Elector Friedrich Wilhelm invited persecuted French Protestants to live and work in Brandenburg. Some 20,000 Huguenots would accept the invitation. The village of Buckholtz, as it was first known, had lost many of its inhabitants and most of its farms and houses were abandoned. The French settlers, mostly farmers and gardeners, brought life back to the area and started many successful small businesses. They also introduced a variety of new items into the slightly conservative Prussian cuisine, including beans, cauliflowers and artichokes. Yet the Huguenots’ greatest gift to Berlin – for which the city will remain in their eternal debt – is Spargel (asparagus), today the most popular vegetable in Germany. It is grown on over 4,500 ha of Brandenburg’s land, and the fields around Berlin account for 17% of all Spargel produced in the Federal Republic: 11,900 tonnes per year.
Köpenick Older than Berlin, it appeared for the first time in writing in 1209 (spelled Copanic), and was granted its city rights in 1232. It is worth remembering that Berlin is considered to have become a city only five years later. The Slavic tribe which settled where the river Dahme meets the Spree, did so on a small island-like piece of ground which rose above the water. This hillock, or kopa (in Polish, another Slavonic language, it is still called ‘kopiec’), was the namesake for the future castle, built around AD 800, and later for a town. First known as Kopanica, later as Copanic and Cöpenic, it was not given its current spelling until 1931. Although it was devastated during the Thirty Years’ War – only twelve of its residents survived that tumultuous time! – Köpenick developed into a centre for the textile and silk industry during the nineteenth century.
